Style Counsel 24.12.2010
Friday December 24th, 2010
A Soft Place to Fall
Our Top 10 Interior Design Tips for Making Your Bedroom the Perfect Retreat
1. Buy nice sheets! There is truly nothing better than slipping into bed across luxuriously soft sheets. Don't be fooled by cheap sheets that promise high thread counts, they are still rough. Go for a quality cotton or bamboo sheets.
2. Have an upholstered headboard. This is the ideal place to sit up and read in comfort and is a timeless classic look.
3. Buy a good down or silk comforter and duvet inserts. They are warm in winter and cool in summer. If you have allergies, try eco friendly corn fibre quilts and pillows.
4. Have a throw at the end of the bed. Not only does this add a splash of colour and texture, but you can pull it over you if it’s a bit chilly without having to mess the bed up.
5. Buy bedside tables with a drawer. This will help you keep everything tucked away and looking tidy...nobody wants to see your bits and bobs left out.
6. Buy lamps with a dark shade or ones that are dimmable. This way you can have soft comforting lighting for reading at night...or whatever else you might get to. Adjustable wing arm lamps are great too.
7. Put area rugs at the end or side of your bed. They will keep you feet clean if you have hard floors and even if you have carpet they add sense of luxury.
8. Window treatments. Create a combination of sheer and block out roller blinds or curtains so you can sleep through those 5 am sunrises. The sheers will give you privacy during the days but maintain a view outside.
9. Add an accent chair. Even the smallest of bedrooms can usually fit a wee chair and add an ottoman if you can. This gives you a place to tie your shoes or read a book and makes the space feel like a relaxation zone, not just a sleeping zone.
10. Colour. This is your space! Decorate with the colours you love and don't worry about matching the rest of the house...it’s not where you guests will be visiting anyway! That is unless you want them to.